Thursday, May 16, 2013

Gender socialization....


 We are all born in different ways, they could be either smart or dumb, but the most importantly people are born to have a different sex. Either being a female or a male, you can’t choose what sex you want to be.  In society, gender is an expected behavior that everyone can see. If you are a girl, you are expected to do girly things like, go shopping or painting nails, and all that fun things that girls enjoy doing. If you are a boy, you are expected to manly things like, watch football or drink beers with friends. Those are examples of how different genders should work.  “In learning the gender map (called gender socialization), we are nudged into different lanes in life- into contrasting attitudes and behaviors” (Henslin, 2012, p. 73). These are attitudes and behaviors or roles that are partaken as life as a male or a female.

As a kid, if someone is giving you a free balloon, boys are more likely to pick a boy color, which is red or blue, and girls are more likely to pick a girl color, which is pink and yellow. “Boys are more likely to get guns and “action figures” that destroy enemies, and girls are more likely to get dolls and jewelry” (Henslin, 2012, p.73). I find this really true because I can tie this to my little brother that still gets toys and he is only 7 years old. He always calls me up and asks me to buy Ninjaturtles, Spiderman, or Batman toys. All these action figures go off into the city and fight crimes with their nemesis.
               

Here is a video that i made before college... 
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c3UVp0pgEMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I would say this is an example video because as a male, baseball is more of a guys sport. 

  I can relate gender socialization in my life. From when I was a kid, my mom passed away when I was 2 years old, and I was raised only by my dad. As a kid I was grown up to play with action figures and video games, but as years went by my dad nudged me into playing baseball, a sport that mostly guys play. Till this day, I love the sport and I still play it because I enjoy it and I have fun getting dirty. “In general, parents expect their sons to get dirtier and to be more defiant, their daughter to be daintier and more compliant.” (Henslin, 2012, p. 73). 

No comments:

Post a Comment