Thursday, April 25, 2013

CULTURE


Every unique person lives in a different society. What is society? "Society a group of people who share a culture and a territory" ( Henslin 2012). What Henslin defines culture " the language, beliefs, values, norms, behaviors, and even material objects that are passed from one generation to the next." An example of a culture would be Hawaiian culture, how they can speak in a different language which is Hawaiian, and the different beliefs that they believe in is "malama i ka aina", is a slogan meaning keeping the island clean. Culture also includes the materials in a culture, and Henslin defines material culture "as jewelry, art, buildings, weapons, machines, and even eating utensils, hairstyles, and clothing". Still keeping the Hawaiian culture in mind, they also have material culture involved in their society. The materials that are involved in their society are  mostly the island and animals because they give highly respect to the island they are living on.   
I experience the Hawaiian culture everyday in my life because I live on the island of Oahu, but my ethnicity is not Hawaiian. I know many Hawaiian friends and when I'm invited to their family outings I experience so much new things from them. The different foods they eat, the different language they can speak so fluently, and also the belief they share every time they have a family outing. Their culture always consist of cleaning, so Hawaiians are clean people because of how highly they respect the island. This family made me respect the island a lot, they've once told me a story about myth about not keeping the island clean. They have said that, if you cant the keep the island clean then this god that they believe in will erupt and destroy the island. The eruption is coming from the volcano, that can destroy the whole island and everyone on it. Ever since they told me that story, I always tried my best to keep the island clean, like picking up other peoples trash or keeping the water clean.   
Finally, the experienced about being in a Hawaiian culture has taught me a lot to keep the island clean and respect the island that I'm living on. If it wasn't for these Hawaiians then the island then the island would be destroyed by now, and having this beautiful creation that I live on.   
  

  
  
What type of culture do you live in? do you follow your culture beliefs?   
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment