Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Technology and kids



Recently technology has increased to the point where people in this day and age have grown to be dependent on it. Back before all of the well-known electronics that we use today came in to play, kids used to play outside. Children used to play hop-scotch and other outdoor activities. Now-a-days children are being introduced to technology at the young age of 8, in some cases younger.
I see kids sit in their house, and all they do is play games. I have cousins that are addicted to games, and when I offer them to go beach or something to get out of the house, they don’t want to do it because of technology. I feel that technology has corrupted this generation and all of the generations to come along next. If we were to reduce the amount of electronics in the world today, or even the amount of time spent using electronics, we could reduce the percent of obese children, and we could help the kids that are socially awkward develop more people skills if they were to play with other children.
On a different note, I have a younger brother that owns an ipad. He’s only 8 years old, and he brings it with him all the time. So when we go to a party, he I just playing on his Ipad instead of conversing with the other kids. At parties, there are usually different kinds of games, tattoos, and even balloons to play with but all he wants to do is play his Ipad. To me, it seems that technology is forcing kids to be dependent on it rather than to grow socially with other kids like I used to do when I was growing up. 
I feel as if technology is ruining the social interactions of kids because they are addicted to such machine in their hand. They rather play with the machine instead of interacting with kids. Before I was introduced technology, I would always go out with my friends and just hangout outside, even though there was nothing to do. I would ride my bike the farthest I could and just adventure with friends and get into trouble. Having that thrill taken away from kids because of technology ruins their childhood.
A functionalist would explain why technology would be useful, and technology nowadays is really useful because everyone uses it for everything. It could be used to check the weather for a week, or printing out a 3d picture of a unborn baby. Why we use technology is because it makes life easier for us, and it being brought to the world, I don’t think we can just shut it down. 

 <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7v75QpvISUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment